Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek In 160 Words or Less

I don't have much to add to the Star Trek conversation that hasn't been said. I enjoyed it mostly muchly. Just a couple of quibbles (spoilers!):

1) Quinto was good but suffered in comparison whenever Nimoy was on-screen - I found Old Spock witnessing Vulcan's destruction from afar more affecting than I did watching Quinto dealing with his mother's death right in front of his face. I know it's a measure of modulating the half-Vulcan's emotional reactions but the wear on Nimoy's face spoke volumes by itself, and it lessened Quinto's impact in contrast. The other actors were fortunate in the respect that they didn't have to play opposite their elder counterparts.

2) I've been spoiled by Battlestar Galactica's space battles. With 1/1 billionth the budget BSG managed images that're etched deeper in my brain than any of the images in this Trek. It kept being almost there, but not quite.

3) It needed more Rachel Nichols!

.

2 comments:

homeslaughter said...

I didn't realize until know who Starship Troopers the set up was with all of the cadets manning war ships

Joe Reid said...

1) Yes.
2) Pretty much yeah.
3) YES

Glad you came to jesus on Chris Pine too (...finally).