Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pics of the Day

.
Now that Lars von Trier's gone and made the critics go mad in Cannes from his film Antichrist (I mean they appear to have literally gone mad, insane, from watching this film) and he's gone and given this hilarious quote as to why he made the movie at all:

"It’s the hand of God, and I am the best film director in the world. I’m not sure if God is the best God in the world."

Well is there any doubt that my desire to see it has sky-rocketed? There ought not be. Roger Ebert has a piece up today going into some depth on his reaction to the film; choice quotes:

"I rarely find a serious film by a major director to be this disturbing. Its images are a fork in the eye. Its cruelty is unrelenting. Its despair is profound...

it's important to note that "Antichrist" is not a bad film. It is a powerfully-made film that contains material many audiences will find repulsive or unbearable. The performances by Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg are heroic and fearless. Von Trier's visual command is striking. The use of music is evocative; no score, but operatic and liturgical arias. And if you can think beyond what he shows to what he implies, its depth are frightening.

I cannot dismiss this film. It is a real film. It will remain in my mind. Von Trier has reached me and shaken me."

And he shares some pictures that I have not seen as of yet. The last one is really, really beautiful.

.

3 comments:

Mike z said...

This has gotten me very excited.

FranklinBluth said...

An article on The Age (Aussie newspaper) says that the film has

'a dramatic escalation of violence, including Gainsbourg slicing off her clitoris'

I'm sorry, but no THANKYOU.

Agent69 said...

LOL, love the quote. How unbearably boring Cannes would have been without him.