Monday, May 04, 2009

I Also Saw Martyrs, Finally...

.
... but I'm not going to properly review it right now. As y'all saw I went a little mad with anxiety about wanting to see the film last week. Netflix dicked me over, blah blah blah, I watched a copy by my lonesome on my computer yesterday and then I liked the film so very very much that I immediately went to Amazon and bought a copy and tomorrow for my anniversary with the boyfriend we will watch it together and then I'll review it later this week (can't spoil him, ya know). Anyway, look for a more thorough review probably Wednesday.

But make no mistake - this is a great horror film. One of the best of the decade. Very smart and terrifically - terrifically - disturbing. If you want more - with spoilers - check out what Rich had to say at FourFour, I agree with him pretty much 100%.

But if you haven't seen the film and have even the slightest desire to - and think you can handle it; make no mistake it is a BRUTAL movie - don't read anything about it. I'd somehow managed to keep myself wholly spoiler-free beforehand and I think that's imperative when viewing the film.

If anyone who has seen the film wants to say anything about it now though, tell me in the comments. I actually had nightmares all night last night! Do you know how long it's been since a horror movie did that? Win!
.

3 comments:

Stacie Ponder said...

I gotta see this. Every account puts it firmly in the mind-blowingly disturbing category...moreso even than Inside, I guess, which was pretty damn hardcore.

Jason Adams said...

Stacie, I "enjoyed" Inside (enjoyed so is not the right word) for what it was, which was a straight-forward freak-you-the-fuck out movie, but Martyrs... Martyrs has a much more challenging agenda. It shoots much higher, and... sticks the landing. It lands like a motherfucker.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of you right now.