Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Afternoon Musical Interlude

I've had a bunch of The Carpenters' tunes welded into my brain all week thanks to finally realizing over the weekend that I had access to Todd Haynes' Barbie-acted docu-drama Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story thanks to the magical wonders of this mad and crazy invention called The Internet. So here's one for our midday easy-listening smooth-grooving pleasure. Do listen.

.

.

My verdict on the film itself? It was terrific but the copy I watched was so hampered by quality issues it was hard... I wish a real copy of the film could be released one of these days. Maybe once Todd Haynes is old and has ten Oscars and they're putting together the DBD (direct-brain-download) collection of all of his work we'll get a pristine mind-implant of the film and not have to wonder what that black blob kinda moving is. I did love the adherence to the Behind the Music storytelling conventions though - all the full-length musical performances (each rendered hysterical by the barely moving Barbie doll playing the part) punctuated by capital-D Drama (Ex-Lax! Gay Brothers! Ipecac!). Good stuff.
.

No comments: