Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Quote of the Day

.

This week over at "Answer Man," Roger Ebert's weekly Q&A session, one person writes in asking why Roger thinks Paul Thomas Anderson's film Magnolia is titled Magnolia. A few reasons are listed, but Roger finishes with the following quoted ridiculousness, which is just the sort of ridiculousness that makes me smile:

"Magnolia is an eight-letter word with two "a's" being the second and eighth letters. This is an odd coincidence, which relates back to the numbers 8 and 2 featured frequently in the film as a reference to Exodus 8:2: "If you do not let them go, I will send a plague of frogs."

The film is of course riddled through with an obsession over this sort of outlandish coincidence, so I have no doubt that PTA knew this fact. Love.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the title came from Magnolia Blvd. in LA-- which is where some of the scenes take place.

Then again, I love the Bible and I love a good plague of frogs, so I'm open to other interpretations.

Jason Adams said...

Anonymous, Ebert makes mention of that as well. I just left it out to focus on the fun, insane theory.