Friday, March 06, 2009

A Little Love For Dr. Lesh

.

Beatrice Straight's performance as ghost-ologist Dr. Lesh in Poltergeist always gets overshadowed, doesn't it? On the one hand, you've got Zelda Rubenstein sucking up all the oxygen (for such a little person she sure does take up space, doesn't she?), and on the other... well, people tend to talk about the scary bits and the special effects and all the behind-the-scenes intrigue with this film more often than they do "the performances" I've found.

But I caught a bit of the film on TV last night and as usual whenever I find it on I have to watch some of it and it was Straight's performance that caught my eye this time. She adds so much heart and thought to the film. The friendship she forms with JoBeth Williams' Diane is one of the nicest things in the whole film.

Drink up, sister!

And that whole scene where the bedroom of poltergeistiness is revealed rocks - specifically that thing she does with her hands as that possessed compass comes at her:


Cue the quick jazz hands of ghostly deflection! Anyway, Straight is this movie's unsung hero. So I'm singing.

.

8 comments:

Ross said...

Wow, did she just do the Nomi move?

Jason Adams said...

It is the Nomi move! Ha! Good call, Ross.

Anonymous said...

You still had to get the midget in a screen grab didn't you

Ross said...

It's been a long time since I've seen Poltergeist. Were Beatrice and JoBeth reminiscing about when they used to eat dog food?

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more...I always felt she brought just what you said to this movie--heart. She has a real screen presence...I think she holds the record for winning an Oscar for the least screen time for Network!

Prospero said...

I've always held her performance as one of the best in horror.

Joe Reid said...

After reading these comments, I'm not sure what I'd want to see more: JoBeth Williams and Beatrice Straight in a campy stripper movie or Elizabeth Berkley and Gina Gershon in a haunted-house thriller.

ant said...

I love that Diane was only 16 when she had the oldest daughter. But Dr. Lesh is phenomenal too.