Monday, March 02, 2009

Get Go

Via Variety:

"Keira Knightley will star in the sci-fi thriller "Never Let Me Go" for Fox Searchlight.

Mark Romanek ("One Hour Photo") will direct the cloning-themed pic, which will also star Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan.

Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich are producing through their London-based DNA Films banner. Alex Garland, who penned the screenplay, is producing as well. Film 4 is also involved as a producer.

Film is set to lense in April in London and Norfolk, England.

Story revolves around a trio who grew up in a boarding school with no contact or knowledge of the outside world until they discover they are clones grown for the sole purpose of organ donation."

Besides the fact that I'm not especially a fan of Knightley (though she was great in Pride & Prejudice, I will give her that), what I find especially annoying about this article is it makes no mention of the fact that we're talking about an adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro's 2005 novel that is one of the best books I've read this decade. That doesn't even warrant a mention?

The team behind this flick - Romanek and Garland - are good chaps whose work I've enjoyed though, but most exciting to me is the mention of Andrew Garfield having been cast in the film. Garfield was the spectacular lead in Boy A which I just raved about last week.


I can't imagine a better pick for the role of Tommy, and am very very excited about his casting at least. And I guess I can give Knightley the benefit of the doubt; she's not a terrible choice for Kathy.

I'm less familiar with Carey Mulligan, who I guess finishes out the main trio in the role of Ruth (I'm guessing that these are the roles the actresses will be playing based off the size of the parts; Kathy is the main character of the book so that's why I'm assuming that's the role Knightley's got... ace detective work on my part) - I don't really remember much of Mulligan on sight although she was in both P&P with Knightley and in the wonderful Bleak House miniseries.


She's also in the upcoming Jake & Tobey movie Brothers so I guess I'll be more familiar with who she is soon enough.
.

4 comments:

Trey said...

Carey Mulligan got mondo buzz at Sundance this year for An Education with Peter Sarsgaard. I was the only one among my group of friends to really like this book, so I'm looking forward to it.

Glenn Dunks said...

Sounds like... The Island?

Anonymous said...

For some reason the way she almost crawls out of her skin and cackles "It's Mr. BINGley!" just makes my heart melt.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I never would have chosen Keira to play Kathy but I'm willing to give her a shot. I just hope they stay true to the book. I have this fear that they're going to change the ending so that everyone lives happily ever after (they did that to the Broadway version of Wicked which really annoyed me).

Kamikaze Camel: The premise is very similar to "The Island" but this is a much more emotional story. I highly recommend the book, it's incredible.