Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Sort Of Thing That Makes Us All Go Mad

Have we all seen the new list at EW.com of "the 25 Greatest Active Film Directors" yet? I hadn't but SlashFilm pointed me to it; I suggest you check it out at Slash where they've just posted the whole list in one easy click as opposed to EW's click-through-one-by-one annoy-a-thon. Or how about I just bring it here for conversation's sake:

1. Steven Spielberg
2. Peter Jackson
3. Martin Scorsese
4. Christopher Nolan
5. Steven Soderbergh
6. Ridley Scott
7. Quentin Tarantino
8. Michael Mann
9. James Cameron
10. Joel and Ethan Coen
11. Guillermo del Toro
12. David Fincher
13. Tim Burton
14. Judd Apatow
15. Sam Raimi
16. Zack Snyder
17. Darren Aronofsky
18. Danny Boyle
19. Clint Eastwood
20. Ron Howard
21. Ang Lee
22. Paul Thomas Anderson
23. Paul Greengrass
24. Pedro Almodóvar
25. Jon Favreau

I know. I know! Ack my eyes. Granted there are a lot of my favorite directors there, but the placements are crazy and the names that don't belong really don't belong and even I acknowledge that some of my favorite directors, while favorites, are not necessarily the best directors working, they just provide material that I am attracted to more than others.

I realize that these sorts of things are posted simply to stoke more page-loads (hence me not linking directly to EW for this) and conversation and arguments, but dudes - DUDES! - are you kidding me with some of this nonsense?

I... I don't even know where to begin with the problems. I'm at a loss. Slash/Film name Woody Allen, Wes Anderson, Spike Lee, Hayao Miyazaki, John Lasseter and Brad Bird off the top of their heads as glaring omissions and from there my brain just tumbles into the abyss.

Ron Howard, man? Ron effing Howard! Ahh! Jon Favreau? JON FAVREAU??? And I'm a massive Steven Spielberg defender and his placement at #1 offends my very being. Ridley Scott hasn't made a good movie in 20 years! Ahh! My brains are melting...
.

4 comments:

J.D. said...

No Cuarón = FAIL.

Jason Adams said...

Cuarón, Cronenberg, Lynch... I could go on and on and on (and on), and I considered offering a list of my own here but that's something I've considered doing for a long time and if I do do it I wanna do it right. But this list, their list, is madness. Offensive madness.

FDot said...

This list is enough to make me take up heavy drinking.

Ross said...

No Egoyan?! Who the fuck is Paul Greengrass?