Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Shotgun Stories Train Of Consciousness Flowing Into A Stream Of Thought, And Junk

.

My brain's still not quite up and functioning even to its usual sub-sub-par standards so this ain't gonna be a proper-like review, but before my minds drifts off into the ether again I wanted to tell y'all that you should see Shotgun Stories if you have the chance. Which you should, have the chance that is, since it's out on DVD and at Netflix and easily procurable if you're the sort of person who watches movies and if you aren't the sort of person who watches movies then I really have no idea what you're doing here anyway. Get lost, all ye Amish folk! I have nothing for you! See? Ether. But seriously, Shotgun Stories is terrific. If you've ever seen and enjoyed a flick of David Gordon Green, at least one that isn't specifically about a gang of criminals chasing down a pair of stoners, one of the earlier Green efforts, with Patty Clarkson in clown make-up freaking out and shit, if you've seen those ones and liked those ones then you will most definitely like Shotgun Stories. I was all set to call it a rip-off of Green's films but then I saw he was a producer on it and I guess he doesn't own the rights to telling the stories of under-educated and under-employed types in small town nowhere-towns, America. I mean, where would one copyright that sort of thing anyway? The great Michael Shannon is really fine here in an understated performance (the opposite of his really fine but overstated performance in Revolutionary Road). My point is, see this movie, the end.

.

1 comment:

Matt Kilgore said...

this post made me realize that michael shannon was also in 'shotgun stories'... he's just so good at playing uncomfortably honest strong males.