Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dierdre Chambers Melvil Poupaud, What A Coincidence!

I did that small post of pictures of the actor Melvil Poupaud yesterday because I found him terrifically attractive in the very good French flick A Christmas Tale the night before last.

But imagine my surprise when he showed up randomly in the horror movie I went to see last night! I had no idea. Shock and awe I am telling you. Melvil Poupaud is following me.

Melvil, you don't have to be so coy, you know. Just tap me on my... shoulder. Right... shoulder. That's as good a place to start as any!

Anyway, the horror film was The Broken, which is one of the films now showing around the country as part of the After Dark Horror Fest. And before you immediately judge that to mean it's crap since most of what I've seen at least of the ADHF has been crap, let me tell you, The Broken ain't crap. It was a solidly unsettling flick and you could do much (much) worse. It steals pretty liberally from horror-past, most obviously Invasion of the Body Snatchers (and I loved the Halloween homage), but somehow it all still works. I found moments in the film deeply unsettling, and it's not the type of flick (except a couple annoying moments) that feels the need to smack you upside the head with annoying quick cuts and big booming sound effects in place of actual scares. Instead it just allows this weirdness to settle over everything that becomes somewhat transfixing. I mean, I figured out what was going on even before the halfway point, but I still enjoyed it, and found myself caught up in it, and that's rare, so bravo, writer/director Sean Ellis.

Besides Poupaud - who was tre sexy here as the boyfriend - the film stars Lena Headey and Richard Jenkins' perma-sad-sack face, which I enjoyed.
.

No comments: