Wednesday, January 21, 2009

All Aboard The Sad-Sack Express

Okay not really, I just love connecting Richard Jenkins with the words "sad sack," it brings me a disproportionate (to reality) sense of pleasure. Dunno. Anyway, we finally have some word on Joss Whedon's horror flick Cabin in the Woods finally! Finally. Via AICN:

"The great Bradley Whitford, who was Billy Madison’s nemesis before landing lead roles in Aaron Sorkin’s “The West Wing” and “Studio 60,” is negotiating to star in the MGM/UA horror-thriller “Cabin in the Woods.”

The project was penned by Joss Whedon (“Toy Story,” “Serenity”) and Drew Goddard (“Lost,” “Cloverfield”), who first collaborated on the final seasons of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel.”

Goddard is making his feature directorial debut on the project; Whedon is producing.

Already aboard the project is Richard Jenkins (“Burn After Reading,” “Step Brothers,” “The Visitor”), still best remembered by me as Nate Fisher’s dead dad on “Six Feet Under.”

The Hollywood Reporter offers the first hint of what the movie’s about:

'While the studio and filmmakers were loath to provide character details, it is understood that Jenkins and Whitford will play white-collar co-workers with a mysterious connection to the cabin.'

... I’m a fan of everybody involved, and plenty excited to hear it’s finally gearing up its spring shoot. Release date is slated for Feb. 5, 2010."

Ya know, I just now googled Bradley Whitford's name looking for a picture of him and this came up and suddenly I find myself with a disturbing crush. I mean... who knew? Isn't dude married to the mom from Malcolm In the Middle? Weird.

K, as for the actual news here, I find it surprising and interesting that this film appears to be about adults. Joss writing about adults! Who knew he had it in him? Even the so-called adultish types in the Firefly universe always seemed rather young. Sure there's always been a scattered adult here and there - Giles I am looking at you - but mostly it's been youth-flavored. And Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford ain't pulling off youth-flavored. Consider me curious.

Also, as I stated last week, Richard Jenkins kicks ass, so happy he's around. I have no real opinion (other than this new-found lusty curiosity) on Whitford though, having found myself with a life-long allergy to the words that Aaron Sorkin writes.
.

No comments: