Monday, October 13, 2008

The Greatest Movie...

... in which the harbinger of doom is
Delia Deetz in an ice cream truck?


After Hours (1985)

What a fucking wonderful movie. And could Scorsese have crammed a more appealing bunch of actresses, each playing a lady more surreally desperate than the one before, into this thing? Teri Garr! Rosanna Arquette! Linda Fiorentino! Catherine fuckin' O'Hara! Teri Garr! A truly wonderful head-trip of a movie, and one of the best New York City movies ever made. (Speaking of, how many Greatest New York movies belong to Martin Scorsese? Good grief.) But it really captures something terribly specific about the random weirdness that a long night out in this town can feel like.

And sure enough, I now am nursing
an ever-so-slight crush on Griffin Dunne.

.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I JUST WATCHED this movie. Such a great time capsule of 80s Downtown New York before it degenerated into a Klub Kids playground. Funky bars and apartments filled with creative types struggling a bit with their sanity. So cool.

Jason Adams said...

It's definitely one of those films that makes you desperate for a time machine, because the time/place it's capturing is so desirable. The Soho of this flick is the dream of where I'd want to live. I mean, sure, everybody's constantly being robbed and in danger and so on, but THE LOFT SPACE! My god!

PIPER said...

I have lots of Scorsese favorites, and this is at the tippy top. People get all caught up in the anger and violence of Scorsese and completely dismiss that he has a wonderful sense of humor as displayed in this movie and The King Of Comedy as well.

The first time I saw this, I hated it because it made me so uncomfortable. And then I watched it again in college with a fellow film student and we couldn't stop laughing.

The script was from one of Scorsese's students at NYU. How fucking cool would that be?