Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fear(s) Is Coming For You...

I caught Fear(s) of the Dark - the French animated horror movie directed by several different artists, their tales then interwoven with one another - way back in March. I mentioned that I was going to see it here, but I'm seeing now I never properly reviewed it. Which makes me sad. Because it was really fucking wonderful. As is the case with these sorts of anthology projects, some pieces were better than others to be sure, but I don't recall any sections being bad; indeed I thought all of them were great, even while yes, a couple towered above. Like the section by Charles Burns, the man responsible for the brilliant graphic novel Black Hole (which yes, David Fincher is still supposedly attached to making a feature film out of at some point) - I remember Burns' section of Fear(s) most vividly.

But the whole movie rocked, and it's well worth seeing if you like that sort of thing (which you should). And I bring it up because I went and saw a show here in NYC of Charles Burns' work this past weekend (if you're here in the city you should check it out; his drawings are really spectacular in person), and they had a flyer stating that Fear(s) is finally getting a real release in October. It opens here in NYC on Oct. 24th (as well as on OnDemand!) and then "rolls on to other towns" (release info via Cinematical; I can't find anything too specific). And now, via Yahoo! comes the trailer. In HD, no less. And I took grabs from it! Too many probably, but it was hard to narrow it down when every frame is art.


Even if you're not a horror freak like I am, this is the sort of horror flick I'd recommend you catching - yes, it's scary and occasionally disturbing, but it's also really beautiful to look at and full of the sort of best things the genre has to offer. Plus it's October, man! Tis the season, ya know? I'd so rather y'all caught this than Saw 15.
.

4 comments:

scroggins said...

You've sold me. Those stills are uniformly captivating.

scroggins said...

Incidentally, my favorite animated film ever is Les Triplettes de Belleville. France + animation + grotesquerie = brilliance.

Glenn said...

They look crazy/beautiful (I'm not sure why I just made a Kirsten Dunst reference either)

PIPER said...

JA,

This is why I watch Soccer. The score may never be high, but you watch it for the brilliant moments right before the score.

The same goes for why I love blogging. Because every so often you stumble across a post that opens your eyes to something so brilliant that you would have never seen otherwise.

This is that post.

Buy yourself something nice tonight.