Wednesday, September 24, 2008

5 Off My Head - A Three-Quarters Countdown

I've suddenly realized that the year is more than 3/4s of the way over! Ain't that bonkers? And I haven't really seen a single film yet this year that has totally and completely knocked my socks off. True, the studios cram all their Very Important Pictures to the end of the year, and I have high hopes for several of them, but where things stand right now... well, thinking on this has made me decide to pick the five films I've liked the most so far this year. And I do like these films very much (although I have nitpicky things with them all, too).

I'll be the first to admit that it's a random as heck list. Two animated films! Two documentaries! But looking back at the movies I've seen in '08, these are the ones that bubble up to the top as of right this second... and I'm even putting them in order! Wonders will never cease... perhaps I should've done this closer to the middle of the year, but whatever - I'm a maverick!

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired,
by Marina Zenovich

Encounters at the End of the World,
by Werner Herzog

In Bruges, by Martin McDonagh

Fear(s) of the Dark, by Blutch, Charles Burns, Marie Caillou,
Pierre di Sciullo, Jerry Kramsky, Lorenzo Mattotti,
Richard McGuire, Michel Pirus, Romain Slocombe

WALL·E, by Andrew Stanton

4 comments:

Scott said...

Any list in September is going to look somewhat random for the reason you mention. But then again I imagine In Bruges would be on a lot of similar lists at this time of year.

FDot said...

Man, I must be the only one out here who did not like In Bruges. The dialogue had some snap, but I just found the film to be too slow moving for my tastes.

elgringo said...

I missed Fear(s) of the Dark at Cinequest last year. Number two, huh? Now I wish I would have stayed around for the late show.

Jason Adams said...

I can't wait to see Fear(s) again when it's released for real in October. Def. try to catch it if you can!