Monday, August 18, 2008

5 Off The Top Of My Head - Roman Is 75

Today is Roman Polanski's 75th birthday. Whatever can be said about the extremely complicated personal life this man has led - and most of it is said better than I'd be able to muster in the excellent recent doc Roman Polanski: Wanted & Desired - I still count myself as a huge fan of his work, and that will likely never change.

I mean... he made the movie that sits at #1 on my personal favorites list about 50% of the time (the other 50% of the time, that's Rear Window's spot). Here are my five favorite flicks of Polanski's, with the obvious obsession of mine up front...

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
"Snips and snails and puppy dog's tails."

The Tenant (1976)
"I found a tooth in my apartment. It was in a hole."

Knife in the Water (1962)

Chinatown (1974)
"You know what happens to nosy fellows?"

Repulsion (1965)
"I must get this crack mended."
I've had his 1966 film Cul-de-sac sitting beside my DVD player for a few weeks now and haven't gotten around to watching it yet - I guess tonight will be the night, in his honor.

What are your favorites? I especially hated leaving off The Fearless Vampire Killers and Frantic (especially since my opinion on Repulsion seems to change from week to week; sometimes I'm not that big a fan, and sometimes it gets me under its spell). And I need to see Death and the Maiden again, it's been far too long.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosemary/Chinatown/Death and the Maiden/Knife in the Water/Repulsion

Maybe it's just the Sigourney going to my head, but i just think D&TM is so moving and scary and kinda hot

scroggins said...

I didn't know Cul-de-sac was available in a region 1 DVD.

It's definitely not available on Netflix.

Jason Adams said...

Harry, it isn't I got it through "other means." ;-)

scroggins said...

Then I'm assuming the image quality (if I'm following you correctly) will be compromised, won't it?

Jason Adams said...

It's not bad. It did change the aspect ration (square instead of rectangle) But my TV fixes that, sorta, so it's alright. I mean, it's far from perfect, but it will do for now. The quality itself - besides the whole cutting off 1/2 the frame thing - that's perfect.

John T said...

Chinatown is in my Top 5 favorite movies of all-time, so, as I like a lot of his other work, that is the only movie I can list here. It may be the most perfect ever made that doesn't have the line "The Germans wore gray, you wore blue."