Friday, July 25, 2008

The Twelve Movie Meme

I got tagged! I love being tagged. I was reading this post at Piper's Lazy Eye Theatre this afternoon and I was thinking, "Ooh, I hope I got tagged for this, it sounds fun! I'm totally gonna do it even if I don't get tagged. If Piper didn't tag me... I'll hate him. That bastard, considering not tagging me. Humph. I'll show him. An envelope stuffed with a mysterious white powder (and not the fun kind!) is totally on its way!" But then he did tag me, and I chased down the mailman and set him on fire before he could take my envelope away, and all was right with the world again. Yay!

Basically, having a movie theater where I could program whatever weird movies I wanted to watch at any given time is my greatest dream. I can't imagine a happier, more fulfilled life. If I were offered that job or being the guy that cured Cancer... well, I'd have to at least think about it for awhile. But for now, this fake offer to pretend-schedule six nights of double-features at my own in-head movie theater will have to do.

So let's get to it! I have 6 nights -
2 movies per night. What am I showing?

NIGHT # 1
Altered States (Ken Russell, 1980) &

NIGHT #2Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1977) &
The Tenant (Roman Polanski, 1976)

NIGHT # 3
I Walked with a Zombie (Jacques Tourneur, 1943) &
The Elephant Man (David Lynch, 1980)

NIGHT #4
Sleepaway Camp (Robert Hiltzik, 1983) &
My Bloody Valentine (George Mihalka, 1981)

NIGHT #5The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964) &
The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970)

NIGHT #6The Muppet Movie (James Frawley, 1979) &
Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (Sam Raimi, 1987)


So why do I do what I do? Mostly, selfishness - I want to see these movies on the big screen myself. Especially Night #5 - I actally saw Umbrellas on the big screen a few weeks ago at MoMA and it was a mind-blowingly delightful experience - smiles from start to finish. Its the way you always want a movie-going experience to be, or imagine it to be. Transporting you to a magical world beyond yourself where everyone's beautiful and tragic. Swoon. I maintain that Umbrellas and Bertolucci's Conformist are the most gorgeous films that I've ever seen, so that night is all about the pretty.

Night #1 I obviously plan on eating a pile of illegal substances first. Ever since I watched Altered States the other week I'd been wanting to see it on the big screen, so things like this -


- could be magjnifed one hundred fold, as they were meant to be. And adding a little Z-Man action to the night can't hurt, right?


The night of early 80s slasher movies is self-explanatory. I mean, I'd wear my striped knee-high socks and short shorts, of course. Otherwise, Elephant and Zombie are two of the most gorgeous black-and-white horror films ever created, and Suspiria and Tenant are two of the most gorgeous color horror movies of the 70s... both of which I'd sacrifice eternal life for a big-screen viewing of. As for my final night... I mean, I can't imagine a double-bill that captures everything I stand for better. The Muppets and a rotting corpse beneath the stairs... me, incarnate.

Okay, I'm supposed to hand this off to five more people now. Let's say Joe R. from Low Resolution, Glenn from Stale Popcorn, JD from Valley Dreamn', Aaron from Electronic Cerebrectomy, and Lulu from StinkyLulu. No pressure, yall. Just silent judgement as usual... and again, if you need more specifics on what you need to be doing check out Piper's original post. He's better with the rules than I.
.

9 comments:

J.D. said...

*giggles*

Glenn said...

thank you! this sounds so fun.

I think night three would be favourite of your double features, although I haven't even seen many of the other movies you'd programme so it'd be brilliant. I'd pay $14 for that.

Joe Reid said...

God damn it.

Jason Adams said...

Happy to be tagged, Joe?

Joe Reid said...

Whatever, you can't defeat me.

PIPER said...

Jesus, I'm glad I tagged you JA. Little did I know what might await me, hadn't I tagged you.

I can only imagine a night filled with The Muppet Movie and Evil Dead 2.

And The Tenant. I haven't seen that movie forevaaaaa

Keith said...

Holy shit! I almost chose Sleepaway Camp, My Bloody Valentine, AND Umbrellas of Cherbourg for my list! I'm (sort of) glad I didn't now...

Although I still think that a double feature of Umbrellas and Happiness of the Katakuris would be pretty damn great.

Ross Williams said...

Awesome list... honestly I'd love to see everyone of those on the big screen. I wish I could have seen Sleepaway Camp on the big screen the first time I ever watched it. The last shot is burned into my mind forever, and that was on some 18 inch screen on VHS. Imagine the damage it could have done, larger than life.

I was tagged too, check out my 12 Movies Meme.

Chick Young said...

Pairing The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Conformist is a stroke of GENIUS. My hats off to you! Great selection of films, truly. I'd be there every night.