Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It Keeps Happening... And I Don't Like It

.
Listen M. Night Shyamalan. I plan on seeing your movie this weekend. Or at least I'm considering it. I still defend you left and right, even after Lady in the Water (a movie I didn't hate as much as the rest of the world did). Signs and The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and yes, even most of The Village represent the sort of terrific old-fashioned movie-making I wish we saw more of. Your skill with long takes and framing shots is wonderful. I do wish you'd stop acting in your movies (and just now I see you're playing a role in The Happening... sigh); not because you're a bad actor, but because it's terrifically distracting.

But to get to my point, this ad campaign that's swallowing entire websites whole has got to stop. Is anybody else being terrorized by this? Go here or here today and see what I mean. It's ridiculous, and is making me want to join the chorus of haters. Let the internet breathe, M. Night! Always with the overkill with you; you never know when to leave something be. Goddamn, man.

But in contrast, Zooey, sweet Zooey is a powerful force for good, as well. Torn, I be. Anybody planning on making The Happening happen? Or has any goodwill M. Night once had been stomped beneath his insatiable need for attention?
.

6 comments:

Agnes B said...

I had to all but sell my soul to get my family to see The Happening with me this weekend. I've liked all of his movies excepting, of course, Lady in the Water (which I haven't seen), and the end of The Village. I'm actually anticipating The Happening.

Jason Adams said...

I agree that the "surprise" of The Village was super lame, but yeah, otherwise I really like the film. And LITW... well, it's really fuckin silly, but I didn't hate it. The main problem with it is Night's casting of himself in a role which basically turns the film into this whiny "I'm awesome, don't you get it?" rant that obliterates the good feelings even those of us who like what he does have for him. If it hadn't been him in the role, the movie wouldn't have been so hated. I mean... it's not really good per se, even besides that casting mistake, but people made it out to be the worst movie ever, when it isn't.

Anonymous said...

He is a bad actor

J.D. said...

I think if I were older, Zooey's presence in this might force me to start drinking. Heavily.

:: conflicted as well ::

Herbaliscous said...

Did you actually enjoy Sings, Ja? I thought it was pretty lame. I'm planning to see The Happening tonight although I'm anticipating a poor ending.

He's kinda built a rod for his own back. The audience will always be expecting a pant pissing twist at the end as this has become his trademark but as he makes more films the endings get gasher.

I haven't seen The Lady In The Water. Without giving too much away is the twist a good one? Or doesn't it have one?

PS Good to have you back Stud.

Herbaliscous said...

Yikes, typo! It was obviously meant to say Signs, not Sings. Although I'm sure you enjoy yodelling as well.