Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I Drink Your Case of Crystal Pepsi Up!

[There aren't any real spoilers below, except maybe sorta in the final paragraph]

Gosh it's nice to have a movie I'd been looking forward to actually be successful for a change. After awhile it wears on one, having everything one expresses interest in giving everyone else on Earth hives. But no, Indy 4 was a rousing success financially, so a hoo-rah to that.

Yes, I just applauded the fact that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg lined their coffers with even more doubloons. Gotta problem with it?

I'm not going to write a full review for the film because I don't really have a lot to say about it - I was neither disappointed nor blown away. I'll probably end up liking it as much as the third film, which is to say it's a fine, fun addition to the series that I won't rewatch nearly as often as the first two. My recipe for slightly greater success would probably read with a little less Shia and a lot more Cate. Cate was w-dropping gold; she had me giggling every time she was onscreen.

Harrison slipped Indy back on perfectly; can't say a bad thing about his performance.

And I don't want to hear one single bad word about Karen Allen either; what a blast of sunshine that lady is. Seeing her and Harrison together again did all it was meant to, for me. Nostalgia-riffic, that. Crystal Skull is the silliest of the series, and I mean that as a compliment.

What did y'all think? And am I totally alone in the entire world like the boyfriend says I am at nursing some disappointment that Kate Capshaw's Willie Scott didn't show up in that final scene, maybe performing "Here Comes The Bride"? I know it wouldn't have made any sense, but... yeah, this is an Indiana Jones movie, man. Sense don't especially factor in. It would've made me happy.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still haven't seen it, but I sure am excited that I finally have an excuse to write that Karen Allen/Cate Blanchett femslash epic I've been mulling over for the last decade.

Hugh Man said...

Ok, but it was pretty bad. Couldn't Cate Blanchett have been a little scarier or mor imposing a threat? Not much of a charmer even if Indy is a dad.

Anonymous said...

I liked it too! I found it a bit too heavy on the special effects, but the ant part was really cool. I was also wondering after i watched it about Kate Capshaw, and why Karen Allen was picked instead. I guess it is because Karen's character was a better preson, more moral or something? I am torn though because I really think Willie and Indy were the better pair. La Beef won me over by the end, but yeah, less of him would've been fine. It was wierd seeing it in the theatre though, I think I like watching Indiana Jones movie in my living room better...
-bri

Hayden said...

Blanchett showed that she had more fun with that role than she has since her work in Coffee and Cigarettes, and Bandits before that. I can't knock her. Everyone needs rest.

Jerad said...

I would have liked to see Cate using a whip like Indy. Then she could be the dominatrix in her swanky accent.

Pfangirl said...

I had pretty similar feelings about the film - fun popcorn flick but nowhere near as consistently fun or thrilling as the original trilogy.

Anyway, my full review is here:
http://pfangirl.blogspot.com/2008/05/indiana-jones-and-kingdom-of-crystal.html