Tuesday, May 06, 2008

5 Off The Top Of My Head - The Clooney

.
Today is George Clooney's 47th birthday. If one were going to choose five of his greatest performances, I ask you, would one need to look any further than Batman & Robin? No, one would not. Ahh, but Tilda already made that joke for me. Hard to believe that movie only came out 10 years ago - how far his career has come since then, eh? One decade of hard work and he's Mr. Sets The World On Fire With His Charm.

To be honest, I was a little tired of George for a bit last year... and then Michael Clayton came out, and he gave what I consider his best performance ever. And now I am under his spell anew. Happy birthday, George! Keep up the good work.

And his five finest performances, I say...


Michael Clayton, Michael Clayton
"You're not going to be one of these people
who goes through life wondering why shit keeps falling
out of the sky around them. I know that. I know it. OK?"

Chris Kelvin, Solaris
"I woke up and you were here."

Bob Barnes, Syriana
"Innocent until investigated? That's nice.
It's got a nice ring to it. Bet you've worn some miles
on old sayings like that. Gives the listener the sense
of the law being written as it's spoken."

Jack Foley, Out of Sight
"You'd be surprised about what you can get,
if you ask for it the right way."

Seth Gecko, From Dusk Til Dawn
"Mr. .44 makes a noise.
You ask a question, Mr. 44 answers it."

I don't want to hear a word about that last choice! Some of you might say Three Kings or Ocean's Eleven, Good Night and Good Luck or O Brother, Where Art Thou? or Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (and do let me know your picks in the comments!)... no, his role in Dusk is why he has a career, as far as I'm concerned. That sexy tattoo that went up his neck, his general bad-assery... I'd like to be holed up with Seth Gecko in a endless maze of underground caverns swarming with stripper vampires, is all I'm sayin.
.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I am in full agreement with From Dusk Till Dawn! Love him in that, but I do have a propensity for men with tattoos (fake is OK sometimes, a la Michael Scofield).

My other pics would be O Brother Where Art Thou and The Perfect Storm...

...although it's hard to overlook his TV performances. No, not ER, I'm referring to Booker from Roseanne and the kid cop from The Golden Girls! Duh!

NATHANIEL R said...

i'm totally down with Seth Gecko but i'd dump other things for O BROTHER...

FDot said...

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better Clooney role than when he played George Burnett.

Anonymous said...

"Matt Stevens" in "The Return of the Killer Tomatoes". It's a hidden jem, way ahead of its time... trust me.

Joe Reid said...

Michael Clayton
O Brother
Ocean's Eleven
Intolerable Cruelty
From Dusk Til Dawn (really good call and not one I'd have thought of right away)

Jason Adams said...

Ya know, I've just never been able to get into O Brother. And I haven't seen Intolerable Cruelty. I'm not so good with the Clooney/Coen collaborations, apparently. Though I'm all over the next one, Burn After Reading, thanks to the presence of Her Divine Lady Tilda.

I do appreciate how effortless he worked his charm in Ocean's Eleven, but I just didn't like any of those movies, including the first one.

And I've always wanted to see Return of the Killer Tomatoes but haven't gotten around to it yet. :(

Jason Adams said...

Also, I should've added to this post, but this post's list of five is actually in order of preference; I really do like his work in Solaris that much. I only caught it on DVD several months ago, and a couple times on TV since then, and I think it'll be remembered as a much better film than it got credit for upon its release.

scroggins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
scroggins said...

It's pretty hard for someone as charming as George Clooney to play creepy effectively. Creepy is the opposite of charming, no?

So that's why his sinister, sinister, uber-creepy Jim Byrd would get the top spot from me.

That scene of him sitting on the diving board...so...SO great.

#2. Michael Clayton
#3. Syriana
#4. He is pretty badass with that neck tattoo
#5. Three Kings

Haven't seen "Solaris" or "The Good German."

So let's have a big, paranoid, malignant round of applause...for George Clooney! Huzzah! and Yippee!

Unknown said...

My fave Clooney performance would have to be OUT OF SIGHT. There is such a relaxed coolness to his performance that I dig every time. It's a shame the film tanked at the box office because it had so much going for it -- killer cast (Ving Rhames, Steve Zahn, Don Cheadle, Albert Brooks, etc.), a great script (by Scott Frank no less) and snappy direction by Steven Soderbergh. Great, great film...

Right behind that I would hafta say SYRIANA. The best Michael Mann film not directed by Michael Mann. I don't think that there have been any other Hollywood films about the current Middle East situation that are as good as this one. Oh yeah, and Clooney was top notch in it, too.

Anonymous said...

Your Silence of the Lambs banner has to be my all time favorite. It is obscure and obvious at the same time. Once I pegged what it was I was shocked at the feelings of doom and claustrophobia a photo of a poodle could give me, that and my usual impulse to strangle any small dog

Joe Reid said...

I still am in love with the way Brooke Smith summons up all the ferocity she can muster to yell "Don't you MAKE me hurt yer dog!"

Heather said...

I think his hair on "The Facts of Life" should have the number 1 spot. Best performance, evah! Love me some Clooney.

Glenn said...

1. Out of Sight
2. O Brother
3. Solaris
4. From Dusk Til Dawn
5. Michael Clayton

...or, you know, whatever!

Herbaliscous said...

I love him in Solaris. Those sad little puppy dog eyes break my heart. Plus it's nice to see his cute little butt which looks so damn tasty that I would eat my dinner from it!

John T said...

1. Michael Clayton
2. One Fine Day (I don't care-I lurve Pfeiffer & Clooney in this movie)
3. O Brother Where Art Thou?
4. Good Night, and Good Luck
5. ER (does this count?)