Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Barraza Goes Back To Hell

.
Actress Adriana Barraza knows what it's like toiling within the fiery pits of doom under a malevolent tyrant already, having worked with Asshole Alejandro González Iñárritu on Babel, so heading to a purely cinematic Hell with Sam Raimi ought to be a walk in the park.

Via STYD:

"Adriana Barraza (Babel) tells Movieland she'll be joining Ghost House Pictures' Drag Me to Hell next month. Director Sam Raimi recently began shooting his first full-on horror film since Army of Darkness (sorry, The Gift is more "drama") in Los Angeles with stars Alison Lohman and Justin Long. Barraza did not reveal who she is playing, unfortunately."
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I read your post concerning "Babel" and though also not caring for the film, I am troubled by your anger at Inarritu for piling so much misery and anguish on the wonderful Adriana Barrazza. It reminds me of Roger Ebert's fury at David Lynch in his review of "Blue Velvet:"

"Rossellini is asked to do things in this film that require real nerve. In one scene, she's publicly embarrassed by being dumped naked on the lawn of the police detective. In others, she is asked to portray emotions that I imagine most actresses would rather not touch. She is degraded, slapped around, humiliated and undressed in front of the camera...but Lynch distances himself from her ordeal...In a way, his behavior is more sadistic than the Hopper character."

Jason Adams said...

You know, that's a good comparison, richard, and one I'll have to think through. I mean, why Lynch's occasional sadism works for me yet I find Innaritu's to be hollow. Lord knows I love a good sadist - look at my love for Michael Haneke - but there's something about Innaritu that, obviously, does NOT work for me. It's a little early, pre-coffee, in the morning right now for me to come up with a good explanation, though. :(

Glenn said...

Asshole Gonzalez Innaritu should be his new name.