Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Scare Me, Mr. Marshall!

Hrm. BD has two items related to director Neil "The Descent" Marshall up today, both of which fill me with "hrm...".

First, there's news on the sequel to The Descent, still ridiculously titled The De2cent; Marshall is NOT writing this one, and BD gives some details on the plot:

"In the sequel to Lionsgate's terrifying film, Shauna Macdonald's character of Sarah returns as a rescue crew finds her and takes her back into the cave to find survivors - where terror ensues once again. We've also been tipped that in the sequel you'll get to see "little" cave monsters in action. And lastly, there is a chance that Lionsgate may not distribute the sequel here in the States as Pathe is currently shopping the project around town."

Mkay. How this fits with the original ending that was attached to the film everywhere but here in the US - in which Sarah never escapes the cave at the end of the film - I'm not really positive. And this film's, for now, specifically looking at being marketed outside of the US, yet they're staying with the US ending? Gives me a headache.

Next, there's a brief chat with Marshall himself about Doomsday, his flick coming out on March 14th, and they also get him to reveal what he's hoping to do next:

"Hopefully, my dream project [is next]. "Eagle's Nest". My version of the Indiana Jones action films, except my Indiana Jones would be named Jack Ravenscroft. Now that the WGA strike is over, whoever wants to take a look at the script is welcome."

I know it's selfish and small-minded of me, but I really just want Mr. Marshall to make more horror films already! He's proven himself a master at the genre twice over - with the terrific werewolf flick Dog Soldiers before The Descent - and we need people with his amount of talent dedicated to scaring us. Sure, sure, maybe his fake Indy will be fun, or whatever, but haven't we already got Nicolas Cage and Brendan Fraser fake-Indying it up... not to mention the real Indiana back in theaters now? I apologize, Neil; I'm always so tough on him. Tough love, man!
.

1 comment:

Glenn Dunks said...

That De2cent thing reminds me of American Psycho 2, which completely disregards the ending of the first movie.