Wednesday, January 16, 2008

You Know You're A Real Geek When...

.

So I'm sitting here watching the trailer for Neil "The Descent" Marshall's next film, Doomsday (which you can watch by clicking right on here), and here's my thought process: "Okay, it's a 28 Days Later rip-off. No, it's an Escape From New York rip-off. Oh wait wait, it's a Road Warrior rip-off! Hmm, are we sure Uwe Boll didn't direct this?"

Actually it appears to be all of these things, and possibly more, who the eff knows, but the trailer with it's cheesy-ass Voice-Over Man narration, as well as the presence of Rhona "I hate your face, lady" Mitra, isn't doing the thing any favors. Do I sound unenthusiastic? Let's just blame the fact that my shower wasn't working this morning; I'm taking that out on this, see? I am coated with a thin layer of scum right now; that ain't doing nobody no favors.

But then, amid the panting tribute to a million other movies that Doomsday appears to be, I see the face of an angel, and I remember why I care...


That's MyAnna Buring, and she was Sam, the doctor-to-be in The Descent, and she's given a line in the trailer right after Voice-Over Man makes mention of Marshall having directed The Descent, and I'm flooded by happy, happy Descent-tinged memories, and all is good again. Man I'm easy.

Seriously, listen. Dog Soldiers is terrific. The Descent is quite possibly the best horror movie of the 00's. I will follow you, Neil Marshall where ever you want to go. The end.

Doomsday arrives in theaters on March 14th.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dog Soldiers is my favorite werewolf movie for several reasons. Soldiers are hot, horror movies make me randy and (IMHO) werewolves are sexy.

Thanks for pointing out the Neil connection!

Stacie Ponder said...

Ha. I'm glad I'm not the only geek who noticed her.

And some say I'm obsessed with The Descent. Pfft, I say.

The clips I saw from Doomsday back in July are better than the trailer. I'm ready for this one!

Oh, and Holly (Nora Jane Noone) is in it, too.

Jason Adams said...

I'm firmly of the belief that there's no such thing as being too obsessed with The Descent, Stacie. Seriously.

Because it's Neil Marshall, I'm perfectly willing to look past a singular shitty trailer. I do worry that the general populace will not overcome such a distinction, though, and I couldn't be more exhausted by things I adore turning into massive FLOPS. Ugh. Why doesn't the world listen to me when I tell them what to say? I need a bigger platform. I'd sell my soul to Scientology - it's a really cheap price - if they'd give me guarantee of such influence.

Stacie Ponder said...

"...there's no such thing as being too obsessed with The Descent..."

Ha! I don't know, I got a lot of flak for this post a while back! :D

When at my parents house over Christmas, I watched it again on their lovely new gigantor TV and I was seeing stuff I'd never seen before- crawlers here and there throughout the cave before they're actually "revealed".

Jason Adams said...

You should do another post all about the tiny little glimpses of crawlers that you newly caught! That oughta drive those flak-junkies insane! Seriously, that post you linked to was awesome, I dunno why people weren't given raging stiffies by it and instead went all "You live with thirty cats" on you. Wet blankets!