Monday, October 01, 2007

Funny Games' Poster

Can this day be any cooler?


My apologies for swiping this directly from Glenn at Stale Popcorn - read his post on it though, it makes for a lovely non-fan-of-the-original counterpoint to my reaction - but I figure I'm allowed, seeing as how I've been hyping this movie since Day 1... that's the poster above for Michael Haneke's Funny Games remake, and I'll be goddamned if it isn't effin' brilliant, beautiful.... fill in the positive adjectives.

The fact that I have to wait until February for this film grows harsher by the day. Love the trailer, love the poster, love nearly all the casting (damn you, Michael Pitt!)... and Michael Haneke, as a filmmaker, just seems to grow more interesting with each film, and even though Funny Games is going to be shot-for-shot, I really do think that we'll see something different and possibly improved - I love the original and find it incredibly powerful and fascinating but it does feel dated in some ways, and I think even the slightest tweaks could rectify that and make it feel fresh and more attuned to the here and now than the original does today.
.

8 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

It really is an amazing poster. As I said in my entry I could easily see this poster succumbing to that annoying poster trait of having an image in the corner and then being surrounded by absolute emptiness for no reason.

By putting Naomi's tortured crying face up so big it's even cut off the sides you get the idea that it's going to be emotionally intense (I grant Funny Games that) and relentless.

It's odd how the poster makes me curious about the movie even though there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe it will be any different to the original. Hmmm...

Jason Adams said...

Although this isn't a totally apt comparison since there were two very different filmmakers behind the lens, look at how different Gus Van Sant's Psycho was from Hitchcock's... and they were (almost) shot-for-shot as well. The same material can be reshaped, tone-wise, acting-wise... so we'll see. But then, I love the original and need to stop feeling insecure about that. Michael Haneke's a genius! Nyahnyahnyahnyah I can't hear you!

Anonymous said...

I love all that is Haneke, but Naomi is a bit pretty in the poster and she is not afraid to be unglamorous. This gives me a little Captivity Cuthbert feeling.If it is part of a group I may feel differently.

Glenn Dunks said...

I loved Psycho beforehand and, being a defender of the remake, don't see how the remake is "bad" considering it is almost quite literally the exact same movie just in colour.

But I don't like the original Funny Games so seeing the same movie by the same director but just with a different cast doesn't really seem to have the interesting side value of seeing a different directors take on a classic film from 40 years prior.

Hmm...

Glenn Dunks said...

Oh! Homeslaughter just reminded me of a point I was going to make, but forgot. It does remind me of the poster for Captivity - the difference is I don't feel like Naomi Watts is being exploited and that the pain her character feels is being used to sell mass entertainment. So it's alright.

Anonymous said...

kamikaze, you mean that Naomi has talent, therefore it is not as exploitive , while with Cuthbert her only calling card is "they are real and they are spectacular"

Glenn Dunks said...

Well, Naomi's not peering out through a cage for starters.

RJ said...

This could quite possibly end up being this year's best poster. I mean wow.