Friday, October 05, 2007

5 Off The Top Of My Head - For Kate

.

Today is Kate Winslet's 32nd birthday. You know Kate Winslet, right? She's only The Greatest Living Actress. I've probably made my affections for Kate well known enough in the past, so I'll refrain from gushing too hard here, but in her honor I present you my five favorite performances of hers. Choosing only five from a performer I've loved EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER DONE is like wrestling with a herd of rhinoceroses while swathed in grape jelly (that means it's difficult - you got that, right?). Anyway, here we are:

Rose DeWitt Bukater,
Titanic

"To the stars."

Juliet Hulme,
Heavenly Creatures

"Affairs are much more exciting than marriages.
As Mummy can testify."

Marianne Dashwood,
Sense & Sensibility

"Pathetic? To die for love? How can you say so?
What could be more glorious? "

Ruth Barron,
Holy Smoke

"Ha! Ladies! You wouldn't know any.
I bet you date little Barbie dolls, don't you?
'Oh, you're so brainy, you're so big! Can I suck your dick?'
Can I be alone now? "

Clementine Kruczynski,
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

"My crotch is still here,
just as you remembered it."

Oh wait! I forgot Ophelia... I forgot Iris Murdoch... I forgot Sarah Pierce and Maddy LeClerc and Sylvia Davies and Sue Bridehead and herself on Extras and [passes out]

Happy birthday, Kate!
.

6 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

How fortunate then that the ad in your sidebar is advertising nude Kate Winslet pictures!

Jason Adams said...

Birthday suit! Birthday suit!

J.D. said...

I'm really truly glad there are actually other people who love Rose.

Jason Adams said...

'll never get behind that Titanic backlash bullshit that seems to have taken over. I love Titanic and always will. Yes, if I hear Celine Dion's song one more time I might drown myself; yes the noise Old Rose makes when she drops the necklace into the water is ridiculous; yes Billy Zane really ought to have a curly mustache to twirl. But Kate and Leo were wonderful -with admittedly thin characters on the page - and I get wrapped up in the old-fashioned epic-movie feel of it every time.

J.D. said...

I know! It's just really, really ridiculous. It's one of my all-time favorites.

I never got the point of Billy Zane. In anything. And as a "person".

Glenn Dunks said...

Anyone who denies the last act isn't some of the best filmmaking ever is deluding themselves, quite frankly.