Friday, August 10, 2007

I, Too Brute

.

Indisputable proof that I am not nearly as tough as I pretend to be:

Watching The Blair Witch Project the night before last by myself, I had to turn it off halfway through because I was too freaked out to continue.

I've seen the movie like 20 times by now! What's wrong with me?

It was the scene where we find out that Mike has tossed the map into the river and Heather and Josh freak out on him that did it; it wasn't even any of the "scary" stuff. The fracturing of the group - the very real seeming relationships between the three - is the film's most potent weapon, and it's these sorts of scenes in the film that make it work so well. For me. I know a lot of people that the film doesn't work for, but I get wrapped up (too much so, apparently) in the trio's drama every time.
.

8 comments:

Joe R. said...

There are few instances where I allow myself to summarily judge people based upon their subjective tastes in movies, TV, etc., but anyone who can even today admit to being freaked out by The Blair Witch Project is my kind of people. Love that movie and will defend it to the death.

Anonymous said...

That movie is unfairly criticized. That last part when they're in the house and she sees him up against the wall.....oooh. Man.

Marius said...

Something must be wrong with me. The movie didn't scare me--not in the least. I really thought the concept was great. I envy people who were freaked out by it. Sometimes it sucks having a neocortex.

Unknown said...

It never fails, if I watch this movie when I'm alone and in the dark, and no neighbours are loudly partying, it freaks the crap out of me. Otherwise it does nothing.

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, this movie just scares the living daylights out of me. It's just so terrifying.

The scene with the tent? Oh man. And that ending! Jesus Christ, that's scary.

I find myself being scared much more by something like this than I would of a movie with a slasher stalker or with vampires because I can imagine myself in that situation and I'd be freaking out.

Glenn Dunks said...

Oh, and just like Joe I will defend this movie to the death. Just like I will defend Jackie Brown as QTs best movie and how I will defend Showgirls as the greatest comedy ever made.

Anonymous said...

Well..Jackie Brown IS QT's best movie

Anonymous said...

That scene is the one scene that I hated. I much preferred the idea that the map just disappeared, and Mike's laughter is the fakest laughter ever.

Still loved the movie, and even screamed at the end.