Monday, June 25, 2007

Leslie Vernon Is Coming For You

.

Tomorrow, all y'all who didn't heed my advice before and didn't go and see Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon while it was in theaters - and seeing as how it made like fifty bucks in its run, I'm guessing that's every single last one of you haters - will be given the chance to make it up to me when the film comes out on DVD.

I am a wrathful blogger, so you'd best right your situation, make all well with me. I know where you live.

Seriously though this is one fine fright flick. Do I have to expound on how completely, head-over-heels it sent me for star Nathan Baesel again? Total dreamboat. He grounds what could've come off as silly with a fantastic performance that takes the entire enterprise into classic status. His interaction with the also-fantastic Angela Goethals is great, real stuff; these two could've easily been total caricatures but because of these actors it feels perfect. Sure, the story cribs from earlier films - Man Bites Dog, Series 7 - and it veers from faux-doc-style into something quite different in the final third - a change that some critics found lacking but that I absolutely adored.

Anyway, see this movie! Add it to your queue! I heard if you buy it at Circuit City you get a free preview disc of Hatchet! Do it!

And over at Final Girl it's the choice for this month's Final Girl Film Club, which is always a hoot; that happens on July 23rd.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Final Girl! I'm thinking I should see this.

qta said...

it is so already in my queue... and has been since you first mentioned it. MNPP is my Bible.xoxo.

And I actually liked Hostel 2. A Lot More than the first film.

Jason Adams said...

I have an acolyte, I have an acolyte! Wha ha ha, world domination here I come. ;-)

Whenever I praise a movie as much as I have BTM, though, I worry somebody will watch it and hate it and think I'm a fool. So that's actually what's going on in my head, not these delusions of grandeur.

Jason Adams said...

But anyway - christ I'm scattered today - I seem to remember that you LOATHED the first Hostel, right Damion? So for you to say you liked this one, I think that's saying quite a lot, right? It'll probably have vanished from theaters by the time I get around to wanting to watch it again so I'll have to wait for DVD, but I've found Roth's films much better with a second viewing in the past and think it'll probably hold true again here.