Monday, May 21, 2007

See This Movie!

.

It's always nice to catch a flick that lives up to all your expectations (especially when ones expectations can be... unreasonable, sometimes), so imagine my happiness to be able to report that the Brit gore-comedy Severance is as terrific as I'd hoped it would be. I've been chiming in about wanting to see the flick for months now, so to have it live up to my hopes for it was swell.

What was not so terrific? The fact that at a Sunday afternoon showing on its opening weekend in a whopping two theaters in Manhattan the theater I was in was practically empty. So I take this as yet another challenge I have no power to meet, but will take all the same by posting a plea:

GO AND SEE SEVERANCE.

You will not be disappointed... well, as long as you've got tastes similar to mine, which places the profanely sick and the unrepentantly goofy in equal esteem.

Is Danny Dyer not enough? How about a chinchilla-fur over-bare-bosoms hooker shooting a machine gun? Anyone?

This movie's a wonderful gem. While not its equal, it reminded me in all the best ways of Shaun of the Dead, so if you liked Shaun you'll like Severance.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All you had to say was 'Brittish' and I was sold

Anonymous said...

By the way, I'm sick but I still don't think I could ever see 'Audition'

Jason Adams said...

Audition gets so much slack for being exploitative, but Audtition's nothing next to some of Miike's other films. I have never been able to finish Ichi the Killer for example, and... I'm me! I can handle this sorta sick shit! Usually.

Audition's pretty disturbing to be sure, though.

Anonymous said...

GREAT BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will check this out. Sounds like my kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

I've read about this film in The Dark Side (a great British horror mag) and I'm glad it's being released in the US. I thought I'd have to wait and track it down on DVD later. It starts this weekend (6/1) in Minneapolis. I'll be there! P.S. Also a fan of Miike.

--Walt