Thursday, April 12, 2007

MPAA's Hatchet Job

It's been some time since I saw Hatchet, director Adam Green's ode to 80's Slasher flicks (that co-stars Mercedes "Harmony from Buffy" McNab), but if my memory serves me correctly, this news from BD is straight-up ridiculous:

"A bunch of new MPAA ratings came in this afternoon... It was revealed that Adam Green's Hatchet has been given an NC-17, which is f-cking preposterous if you ask me. The movie is so over-the-top and fun that I don't see how anyone could take it that serious. Yay MPAA, thanks for ruining our party. We're told Anchor Bay intends on appealing (good for them!). "

I don't remember anything in Hatchet being any worse than anything you'd see in one of those godawful Saw movies - which all got R-ratings - and I'd argue the Saw films should've gotten an NSWTS (Nobody Should Watch This Shit) rating for being humorless hack-jobs while a fun movie like Hatchet should easily get an R. It's all meant to be silly and gratuitous and fun, not make you want to scrape your face off with your arm-rest like Saw does.

Anyway, I can't believe this movie hasn't been released for real yet, it's been a full year since I saw it at the Tribeca Film Festival last Spring, but nope, it's not being released until this September.

It's being handled by Anchor Bay Films, who also released the seriously, seriously awesome Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, and hopefully they'll handle Hatchet's release a little better since apparently Behind the Mask's miniscule release garnered less than $70,000 when it fully deserved to be a smash.

And while I'm speaking of Behind the Mask, I should mention that this phenomonally fun flick is getting a DVD release June 26, so all y'all who missed it the first time can catch up with it then.

And seriously, ya gotta see it - it's a blast. I love you, Nathan Baesel!!!
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think that the NC17 was more because of Harmony's exposed jugs rather than the lame violence. This movie sucked.

Jason Adams said...

Come on, boobs do not an NC-17 make. Boobs barely make a PG-13 anymore. But twisting someone's head around like a top, that an NC-17 makes, apparently.

And it didn't "suck". It wasn't as terrific as I'd hoped but it had its moments. It was mostly fun. The seams on its budget def. showed and it somehow felt too long even though I don't think it's that long, but I still wouldn't say it sucked.