Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I Should Be Asleep...

.

... but instead I stayed up and watched Lost In Translation and now, much like Charlotte and Bob, I'm stuck in some sort of limbo.

So instead of sleeping, I'll prattle off things I noticed this time around with Sofia Coppola's brilliant film, in what was probably my sixth or seventh viewing.

So, what I really noticed this time was, knowing where Scarlett's career was going after this film, how natural and real she felt here. The closest she's come since was in Match Point (yes, I thought she was quite good in it), but even that doesn't come close to the work she did here. Can she work with a female director again, please? Instead of being forced to be the sexpot her ginormous boobs seem to coerce straight male directors into thinking she's just got to be, here we have the lovely, plain girl I know she's just got all bottled up inside these days just dying to come out. No more hair-bleachings, Scarlett! I know you're still young and you're having fun, but I also know there's a real - and a real good - actress in there.

What I noticed this time are her scenes without Bill Murray - the scenes with him she's mostly playing the "straight man" to his admittedly pitch-perfect career-best work - but in her alone scenes, where she's usually observing - watching traffic or some ancient procession or looking out at the city through her enormous hotel window - you can't take your eyes off of her, and you feel what she's feeling. The whole film hinges on her eyes - lost, happy, crying, flirting, falling asleep. She really is wonderful here, and I want this Scarlett back so very badly.

This is such a film to get lost in. I find my mind wandering while watching it, but in really wonderful ways, where it's engaging me to consider so much about myself while it lingers on. I know there are a lot of people out there who can't stand the movie, but I just found myself smiling from start to finish this time. These characters feel like friends, and watching the film again is like being allowed back into their world.
.

3 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

Aagh, I can't agree with you more. It's just so good. I remember the first time I saw it, I had seen a buy-one-ticket-get-one-free coupon in the newspaper the weekend before it was released. It was in advanced screenings and I was bored so me and friend went not knowing what to expect (I'd heard it was good).

I spent the entire movie in a hypnotic smiley trance. It just hooked me from the opening image of Scarlett's arse and the Tokyo skyline.

I've watched it over 10 times I reckon. It never fails to amaze me.

As I've made clear

http://kamikazecamel.blogspot.com/2006/09/2003-umas.html

Marius said...

Great post! I agree with you 100%. I was blown away by the film. Sofia is a talented director, and what a great role for Scarlet. You are right—she is wonderful in the film. I think Sofia really knows how to set the stage for her actors—atmosphere, tone, etc. I just love Sofia. I’m not crazy about Marie Antoinette, but I acknowledge she approached the subject from a different perspective.

Glenn Dunks said...

I much prefer my Scarlett in modern films, not period set ones. Movies like Lost in Translation and Ghost World and her movies with Woody Allen. Although Girl with a Pearl is also a great role and she was fine in her small Man Who Wasn't There role.