Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Am Link


--- Toadzilla! Yuck.

But speaking of engorged monstrosities, with The Host being critically praised far and wide (even though I only found it mediocre) and the talk of its remake, as well as a remake of The Blob being in the works, I'd say we might have the makings of a Giant Monster renaissance here. Excuse me if I don't exactly have faith in Hollywood after they bungled Godzilla and Eight Legged Freaks, though... there's only so far crappy CG will take you, guys!

--- Without Jake involved, I don't exactly find myself creaming my shorts over a Donnie Darko stage version (via ModFab) With Jake involved, I'd be camping out already. But... I just don't get how this story would transfer well to the immediacy of the stage. Though the Sparkle-Motion sequence will surely be to die for.

--- Besides being Captain Tight-Pants' birthday, it's also cokemovie-mad auteur Quentin Tarantino's birthday, which TFE celebrates in high style by naming the Top 10 QT-coaxed performances.

--- Next stop on the terror train for director Eli Roth, after Hostel Part II, is making a movie outta Stephen King's recent sorta-zombie book Cell. At SciFi Wire Roth opens up a bit about the project, and thankfully he appears to know the book's weaknesses:

"Roth said that he would necessarily change elements of King's book, while maintaining other elements. "I love the opening [scene]," Roth said. "But I also want to keep, ... not necessarily that same chaotic tone, but I want to keep the tension of the opening 40 pages of the book going throughout the whole film and introduce other elements. Because I think the book, for me, where it loses tension is where suddenly you don't feel like the phone crazies are trying to kill them. ... I find that it's finding other ways to make it so you still feel the tension that any second you could get killed [and] carrying that throughout the whole film."

There are long stretches in the last half of the book where things get downright unscary, so if Roth can mantain the tension the book starts off with so spectacularly then bravo to him.
.

No comments: