Friday, January 19, 2007

There's Such A Lot Of World To See

.
Whoa... somebody remind me not to take Tylenol PM and then start watching a film that progressively gets as aggressively strange as the Portuguese film Odete (called Two Drifters here). I started nodding off about halfway through the film - not the movie's fault, but the fault of the pill-poppin' and my general fatigue from this exhausting week - and I kept thinking I may've been hallucinating whenever I half woke back up and watched what was happening in the movie.

I mean... did I really just hear a children's choir singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as a pregnant woman rolled around on a grave?

Can't remember where I saw someone call the film one of the year's best, but it's certainly... an interesting film. I get all the comparisons to Almodóvar it's gotten, it definitely has the feel of his early work. Obviously I need to give the film another go when not doped up to hell, and maybe I'll grasp it a little better. But I'd definitely say y'all should check it out if you haven't already. I'd love to hear some other opinions.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Odete is not a Spanish movie, it's Portuguese.

Jason Adams said...

Whoops, sorry, I'll fix that.