Monday, October 09, 2006

I Am Link

//
--- You can now hear Idol-reject Jennifer Hudson's version of the song "And I Am Telling You" from the upcoming Oscar-bait musical Dreamgirls right here, via EW.

--- Today in Tolkien-flavored minutiae: According to DH, New Line has "had a few initial conversations about the project with Mr. Jackson's representatives," the "project" being a filmic adaptation of The Hobbit. Ooh, initial conversations with his representatives! Exciting!

--- Josh Duhamel in swim trunks and that annoying chick who ruined Alias' 3rd season getting sliced open by crazy Brazilian organ-thieves? Oh yeah - Turistas is gonna rock! Watch the trailer here.

--- Have you been voting in The Horror Blog's big Monster Rally? Do it. Do it. Something tells me that neither of my choices will be making it that far against such actual-force-wielding competetion. Oh well.

--- And finally, I don't feel the need to review Little Children because, well for one I'm just being lazy, but luckily enough I agree with every single word of Moriarty's review at AICN. Like, it's eerie how similar we feel about the movie. Go on, Moriarty, do my work for me (I was sorta dreading writing about it, anyway):

"I think what works is pretty much anything involving Kate Winslet. Her performance is so rich that I think she elevates the film. When people talk about this during awards season (and they will), it’s Winslet that will keep the film’s hopes alive the longest...

What LITTLE CHILDREN gets most right is the way it skewers our tendency in this country to point a finger. We are more than happy to point out the flaws in others at the drop of a hat, and we love to take a position of moral superiority, when we often don’t deserve to. Hypocrisy is practically a sport in this country. Some people make entire careers from it. And often, it comes from a sincere desire to protect something or someone, or because you believe you’re doing the right thing. People don’t set out to be self-righteous pricks; they just are...

Noah Emmerich (THE TRUMAN SHOW) is probably my least favorite thing about the film because of how his character is written, and because I think he overplays it. It’s the most obvious material in the film, and it fails to reach the dark satirical tone it’s aiming for...

I don’t think the choice to use PBS-guy as a narrator works at all for LITTLE CHILDREN, and it causes some oddball shifts in tone that the film isn’t able to successfully negotiate. It’s worth seeing, and there are details like Haley’s date with Jane Adams or Winslet’s red bathing suit or the way her office is organized that I really adore...

I just think in the end, this is a film that never quite finds its footing, and its ambition ends up being more than it can fulfill."

Precisely how I felt leaving the movie. Oddly disengaged, and never really moved (one exception, in inviso-text: when Kate's character, at the end, breaks down over her daughter in the car-seat, and the look on the daughter's face, all of which was really wonderfully acted - this is the moment that haunts me after seeing the film). I do think Kate was great, but I have to admit I'll be a little disappointed now if this is the role she wins the Oscar for, when she's given us so many other characters for the ages that just felt so much stronger to me. I do feel like I want to see the film again, though; it wasn't exactly what I was expecting and now, knowing what I'll be seeing, I think I might like it better a second time.

No comments: