Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Time For Requiem

//

Sara Goldfarb: I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Harry Goldfarb: You got friends, Ma.

Sara Goldfarb:
Ah, it's not the same. They don't need me. I like the way I feel. I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile.

I think it's that time for me to watch Requiem For A Dream again.

Sigh.

I try to watch it at least once a year, but I always need to steel myself for it; the film effects me like few others ever even come close to doing.

But it's been sitting on my mind for weeks, and "Lux Aeterna", a song from the film's soundtrack by The Kronos Quartet (the song that plays over the final brutal montage), came onto my iPod this morning, and... I'm taking it as a sign.

So... if you hear uncontrolled sobbing echoing through the 5 boroughs tonight, you'll now know why.
//

3 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, I don't even need to see the whole film to start bawling at the scene where Sara's friends go visit her at the hospital and then start crying at the bus stop.

The only other movie that does that to me is the end of Thelma & Louise. If I turn it on the tv and it's at that scene I'll start bawling.

NATHANIEL R said...

i think this is one of the best film monologues that exist. period. any decade. and Burstyn doesn't rest until she's unearthed every single drop of pathos from it.

brilliance.

Jason Adams said...

Yeah, this is the scene that just wrecks me. Even just reading it I can hear her voice saying the words, and I want to burst into tears. And then, yeah, by the time we get to the scene at the hospital at the end I can barely see straight.