Friday, September 15, 2006

On Bound

//

Wow, how much fun is Bound?

I'm not quite sure why it'd taken me so long to finally see the Wachowski Brothers first film - I'd like to say it had nothing to do with infantile squeamishness at girl-on-girl (yes, Virginia, homos can homophobic too!) but I'd probably be lying - but it's a great little queering up of the noir genre. I'd probably have loved Swoon if it'd taken this stylish slick approach instead of the artfully empty approach it did.

Both Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon are terrific - I especially found myself loving Tilly's sex-pot Violet - a role she was born to play, all gams and dresses so tight you wonder if they're responsible for her Boop-inflected voice. Gershon's great fun to watch, too, with that Joker-lipped butch growl of hers. (Plus, semi-squeamish feelings aside... the two of them make for one hot Sapphic duo. Who knew? I've been reborn.)

And Joey Pants makes for a fun smarter-than-you-want-him-to-be patsy, though... did we really need to see him naked? Maybe I was finding the gal-action so hot because of the dire guy-options... crafty and well-played there, Wachowskis.

Now somebody just needs to give the Wachowskis whatever amount of money they had to make this movie for their next one, because enormous budgets are not agreeing with them at all.
//

No comments: