Tuesday, July 25, 2006

3 Of My Favorite Things

\///
Richard Kelly + Eli Roth + Richard Matheson =
Who the heck knows, but it certainly peaks my interest.

From Cinematical (by way of Film Experience) :

"Richard Kelly announced what he'll be doing once he gets done totally overhauling [Southland] Tales. According to JoBlo, the director will be helming The Box, a film he seems to have cowritten with, of all people, splatter king Eli Roth. Actually, until he got too busy, the film was going to be directed by Roth; Kelly's decision to take over was a fairly recent one.

The Box, which is based on a short story by Richard Matheson (the guy who wrote I Am Legend, soon to be a Will Smith movie), goes this way: "A small wooden box arrives on the doorstep of a troubled married couple, who open it and become instantly wealthy. Little do they realize that opening the box also kills someone they do not know."

I haven't read the story The Box, so I dunno if it's any good (though I have liked very much everything I have read of Matheson's), but judging from the basic storyline they tell it sounds much more up Kelly's alley than Roth's. Suburban weirdness (Donnie Darko) versus Frat Boy Splatter (Hostel, Cabin Fever)? Definitely Advantage-Kelly.

But seeing as how I'm still in my infantile "I trust these guys pretty implicitly based upon not enough output from either to really be able to do so" phase, I'm curious about whatever they decide to be doing.


Oh, and the above picture is the only one I could find of the two of them together (Kelly, far left; Roth, far right), and I find it completely hysterical. I have no idea why Eli Roth's done up like that, but the look on Kelly's face is not one that says, "Hey, you're awesome! We totally gotta write something together!" Strange bed-fellows, I guess.

And yes, I'd pay good money to see Richard Kelly and Eli Roth be actual bed-fellows; got a problem with it? That's like a gay horror geek's dream!
...

2 comments:

Brian W said...

Wasn't this already a Twilight Zone episode? Or a similar show?

Jason Adams said...

I don't know for sure about this story specifically, but Matheson wrote a bunch of Twilight Zone episodes so it's entirely likely.