Monday, May 08, 2006

My Dark Materials

////

I'm much more attached to Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy than I ever was to the Lord of the Rings books, so I'm keeping a keen eye on all HDM-related news. The project's been bouncing around for years, but I really don't care how long it takes, I just want them to do it right, like LotR was.

Chris Weitz (About a Boy, American Dreamz) was supposed to direct the thing a year or so ago, then wasn't, and now is again. I really liked About a Boy, haven't seen American Dreamz, and American Pie is a decent-enough teen comedy, so I'm not appalled by the thought of him directing it, though it is... a little out of left-field. But by all accounts he's dedicated to the property, having written the screenplay, and I think it's possible he could have this sort of film in him. I am cautious, but... optimistic.

If it weren't so seemingly close to the role Michelle Pfieffer's playing in Neil Gaiman's Stardust, I'd say Pfeiffer was perfect for Mrs. Coulter - although I haven't read Stardust, the role sounds pretty similar at least.

But if the producers wanted to go the Harry Potter route and cast only British actors, maybe Natasha Richardson? For Lyra, and for Will, you've got to go with unknowns. And I can't help but picture Ralph Fiennes as Lord Asriel, but if you did go with Richardson for Coulter than her hubby Liam Neeson would be a great, if maybe a little bit old, choice for Asriel.

No comments: