Monday, March 06, 2006

Fuck You, Jack Nicholson

.....
I just keep reminding myself, the forgotten maudlin film How Green Was My Valley beat Citizen Kane for Best Picture in 1942.

So... what to say? I'd be lying, obviously, to admit I wasn't upset, or to come on here now and say that the Oscars mean nothing to me (unfortunately, they do... sigh, time for some introspection) and screw em and so forth.

I have been reminding myself that none of my favorite films of all time are Best Picture winners.

But it is depressing. Brokeback really seemed like a lock. Not to scream homophobia or anything, but, even to a small extent, it probably played a role. There are surely a good share of Academy voters who grimaced at the thought of checking the little box for a film which (gasp!) glorified the sodomite lifestyle.

Still, Ang won, which should be celebrated. And Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana for the script, and Gustavo Santaolallo's heartbreaking score, which had me tearing up every time it got played.

Also, Brokeback's not winning will be remembered far longer than any of Crash's maudlin sermonizing.

Speaking of our esteemed Best Picture winner of 2005, did anyone else notice that during that truly terrible song-and-dance number for Crash's song, amid all the slo-mo dancers acting out scenes from the movie, there were actually, really, two dancers over on the left side of the stage ACTING OUT THE "THANDIE NEWTON GETS MOLESTED BY MATT DILLON" SCENE IN SLOW MOTION? Just... wow. Pretty realistic estimation of the film's subtlety in and of itself, there.

No comments: