Thursday, October 06, 2005

Barker

If you've never read any of Clive Barker's The Books of Blood stories, you ought to. And this being October, Month O' Scares, what better time?

My friend Sean is doing some power-blogging this month, talking about one of the thirty stories in The Books of Blood every day up until the big All Hallows. I bring this up because today he talks about the best thing Barker's ever written, the story "In The Hills, The Cities," which... I can't heap enough positive adjectives upon. It's possibly the best horror story I've ever read. Read it.

Sean's already written on two of my other favorites, "Pig Blood Blues" and "The Midnight Meat Train," the latter of which I found myself terribly depressed by because I'd been batting around a story about horror on the subway myself and this story's so good it deflated my sails.

Coming up next, or soon, I can't remember for sure, will be another of my favorites, called "Dread." Scary clown imagery, eek!
.

No comments: