Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Review - Charlie & CF

Oh I am fading. It's not even 2pm, and I can state flatly that I will never, ever make it through the day, I am surely going to be discovered come 4pm snoring in a puddle of drool in the backroom, my arms and legs akimbo, my face caught frozen somewhere between delight and abject horror.

I realized today I haven't reviewed Charlie & the Chocolate Factory yet. However, given this state I'm in, I can hardly do it justice. But I don't know what I could say. I adored the first half or so, with the set-up outside of the factory, with Charlie's family in the spotlight. I found this section oodles (yes, oodles) better than the same portion in the Gene Wilder version.

Once we get to the factory and Johnny Depp's weirdness takes over, I liked the film a little less. I didn't hate it, mind you, and was still thoroughly entertained the entire time (Deep Roy as all the Oompa Loompas deserves a special shout-out, he's the man), but from this section on I found myself hopelessly comparing what was happening in this film to what had happened in the earlier film, as it went through all the same set-up's and gags. It was distracting, but inevitable, I guess.

Liked the squirrels. Always arguing we need more squirrel villians.

Augustus Gloop will always be my favorite character. Just his name makes me chortle.

I'm a little exhausted by Johnny Depp and his neverending parade of eccentricities. I'd love to see him do a movie where he plays it straight again. However, since Dark Horizons is stating that his next film will also be for Tim Burton with JD in drag playing stripper Gypsy Rose Lee, I am not holding my breath for that to happen.

Freddie Highmore is a damned likable little boy.

And that's all I got.
.

No comments: