Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Review - Who's Afraid...

I don't really have much to say about Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I watched it Sunday night and I've been racking my brains for something to say but... meh. Elizabeth Taylor was... loud. I guess that was the point. Richard Burton was... good. My favorite was Sandy Dennis; I don't think I've ever seen her in anything before, and she was a terrific nutcase.
ExampleBut watching the movie was a bit... of a chore, I guess. I have a feeling it would work much better for me live, where you'd really feel like you were a guest at this horrible horrible party, but I think the necessary opening it up that happened to make it a film hurt it some. I'm sure it was intense when it came out, when Liz Taylor was The Star and her relationship with Burton was mythic, but since neither of them have ever interested me terribly... I was just relatively bored. I'd kill to see Kathleen Turner do this on stage, though.

postscript - The film was gorgeously shot, I should mention that. Great B+W cinematography.

No comments: