Sunday, June 05, 2005

Review - Love Object

Example
Well it's Sunday and I'm a liar. In my defense, I said I probably wouldn't blog on the weekends, and since my roommate's away and conveniently left her computer sitting in the livingroom, heres I be.

I just watched this film called Love Object, and... damn. I hadn't ever heard anything about it, but Netflix recommended it and I said what the heck, and... damn.

It's an old story. Boy meets sex doll, boy falls in love with sex doll, boy leaves sex doll for real girl, girl finds out about sex doll, girl leaves boy, boy goes bonkers and tries to turn real girl into sex doll.

Anyway, it's much better than I thought it'd be. It really doesn't hold anything back. Goes for it. It's not a great film by any means, it's a little off with certain turns of character, and you can't help but find it all a little bit silly at times (sex dolls do that) but for horror fans you can definitely do worse.

The lead (real life, living, flesh-and-blood, unplasticized) actress is very good, she creates a real enough woman that you find yourself rooting for her to get the f- out of that apartment. And the main actor, the nutjob, our main character, has a very difficult task to do and does it well enough. His character was the one that could've used some fine tuning, but then I suppose you can account for some of the changes in character because we the audience are led to sympathize with him for most of the film until we realize he's much much more gone than we'd realized. So I guess that's just the director fucking with us, which, in the end, is what horror films are supposed to do. And it succeeds on that level.

Plus there's an awesome homage to Vertigo. Score!

Postscript- This is a far less engrossing review than I hope to be writing in the future, I must confess. I fell asleep on my very uncomfortable couch last night and am pretty much crippled from it today, and my brains ache. So my apologies. Just wanted to rec a decent little unknown (to me) flick. Carry on.

No comments: