Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Review - Faust

I really need to see more of F.W. Murnau's films. I've seen Nosferatu, of course, many times over, and it still stands for me as the scariest thing I've ever seen. There is something so primal and horrifying about the images of the vampire in that film, and nothing has ever come close.

And now that I've seen Faust I'm even more convinced that Murnau, like was played out in the wonderful Shadow of the Vampire, had a direct line to Satan himself.
Example
I mean, look at that image. There were shots in Faust that I have no idea how Murnau managed at that time (1926!). The opening and closing scenes of the wager between Satan and an Archangel are gorgeous, so rich in detail and framing... well, they make a film nerd just foam at the mouth. How I made it through film school with never having seen this stuff is beyond me. I mean, I took several classes on German Horror!
Example
That said, the film's a little long at nearly two hours, especially with a long period in the middle where Mephisto becomes a bit of a wild-eyed comedian, playing games with Faust and Gretchen's fates as he playfully scampers about in a garden with Gretchen's large-bosomed aunt. But for the opening 20 minutes alone, this film is must-see.
Example
And if anyone can tell me how he got Emil Janning's eyes to glow like that, please share.

No comments: