Friday, November 13, 2015

Who Wore It Best?

.
I wasn't going to bother wishing Gerard Butler a happy birthday today because what's Gerry done for me lately? Huh, Gerry? 300 was a long time ago, my friend. But then I stumbled upon the first posters for his upcoming epic Gods of Egypt from director Alex "Dark City was also a long time ago" Proyas, co-starring Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and uh...

That's a whole lotta look, guys! My first thought was... well my first thought was "That's a whole lotta look, guys!" But my second thought was, and this is something I have been noticing lately, I really do appreciate it in theory that we seem to be moving away from the washed-out colorless post-LotR landscapes. I know the gaudiness of these posters is not the hill to die upon with this argument, and maybe the movie itself won't follow the same color scheme seen here, but directors and their technician friends have started embracing the entire rainbow again, which is something that was missing for a bit. (Insert stink-eye at Man of Steel right here.) This is good. The world needs color! (And yes it's also terribly ironic that I'm making this argument against a movie as white-washed casting wise as this one.) But this... this is a lotta look.


.

4 comments:

AG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I was so looking forward to Gerard dressed in shendyt but that is Roman attire? Is he ROman in the film or is this another case of Hollywood covering up men even at the sake of blatant historical inaccuracy?

das buut said...

Step aside, fellas, there's only one caped Queen of Egypt: Grace Jones!

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/5/14/1431570303224/e928738e-2fbb-478d-889e-f3815b2077f6-620x372.jpeg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=d0f62003febbeb5c3de7d58dacea67fc

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's an embrace of full-range color so much as yet more teal/orange...