Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Everything You Ever Need To Know About Life...

... you can learn from:

Being There (1979)

Louise: It's for sure a white man's world in America. Look here: I raised that boy since he was the size of a piss-ant. And I'll say right now, he never learned to read and write. No, sir. Had no brains at all. Was stuffed with rice pudding between th' ears. Shortchanged by the Lord, and dumb as a jackass. Look at him now! Yes, sir, all you've gotta be is white in America, to get whatever you want. Gobbledy-gook! 

The great Hal Ashby was born on this day 86 years ago.
.

1 comment:

sissyinhwd said...

I watched this about two weeks ago and this was one of the best scenes in the movie. I hadn't seen the film in years and couldn't remember why I hadn't liked it. I realised, again, my problem with the film: It's the ending of him walking on water. It's too superficial. Is he a new Jesus, have superior knowledge after all, is it all an allegory. What? To me it's a very unsatisfying ending to a fairly intereseting film. Better film than I remembered but that ending - No Bueno