Monday, April 27, 2015

We Are All The Angry Inch Today

.
A photo posted by Jason Adams (@jasonaadams) on
.
I made an unexpected trip to see Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway for a third time this weekend - I'd already seen it once with Neil Patrick Harris and then again as soon as John Cameron Mitchell took over the show; this weekend it was JCM again, in one of his last performances before Darren Criss takes the show over from him this week. (And congrats to him on the Special Tony he's getting!)

Anyway I had much much better seats this time (eighth row direct center) which I'm still coming down from - it was already a mind-blowing show when I saw it from the rafters the first time; seeing it from pretty much the prime viewing spot in the house, not too close and not too far, well I won't forget the experience any time soon. Also making the night memorable...


I actively avoid any and everything having to do with those Kardashian people, and I felt no differently when it was the Kardashian-adjacent Bruce Jenner being called "brave" all over social media on Friday night as his interview with Diane Sawyer aired (you can do better, transgender community), but... well it was still really fucking hard to not take note of the fact that Bruce's daughter had decided to follow up the biggest transgender news-story of possibly ever by taking herself to a musical about a man's mutilated genitalia. These things make you sit up and take notice!
Anyway I was much more excited to see St. Vincent in person, who is an awesome alien rock-god and I adore her, and she totally spent the entire show "canoodling" with that model girlfriend of hers. She looked so cool I couldn't even take it.

And as long as we're desperately star-fucking, you know who else was standing two people in front of us in line as we picked up our Hedwig tickets that night? Wallace Shawn! If your first thought was "Inconceivable!" then you're exactly like the drunk woman standing one person in front of us in line as we picked up our Hedwig tickets that night, because she screamed "INCONCEIVABLE!!!" at him over and over again. Poor Wallace Shawn.


1 comment:

Mike z said...

I saw the last show on Saturday! Front row. Definitely not too close. I even got a little wet.