Monday, March 30, 2015

I Am Link

.
--- Friendly Fire - I didn't realize that Halt and Catch Fire, AMC's series about Eighties computing starring Lee Pace and Scoot McNairy, was coming back so soon - the second season to the depressingly low-rated series begins on May 31st! Have they put the first season on Netflix or anything? They gotta get people watching it; I'd really grown to love it by the end of the first season. Anyway EW has the first clip, plus some chatter about where we're at when the show returns. More gay sex for Lee Pace please! (thanks Mac)
.
--- Carrie On - I don't know if Sufjan Stevens' new album Carrie and Lowell coming out tomorrow will finally shut me up about it or not - I'm still listening to it pretty much non-stop, and it's still managing to make me sob in public. Anyway some Suffy links to share: the rave review at Pitchfork was clearly written by a longtime Sufjan fan who fills in all kinds of nice details and callbacks to his previous work. I also found this article talking about Sufjan's religion interesting, even though I'm a super atheist. It also led me to this old interview with Sufjan that I don't think I'd ever read before. Choice bit is when they asked him about his first experience performing music in front of a crowd

"I entered a lip sync contest in middle school (I did Peter Cetera’s “Glory of Love”—from The Karate Kid Part II with choreography and make-up). I wore a red bow-tie and pants with zippers on the cuffs. I didn’t even get runner-up, it was so awful. I wasn’t interested in art or aesthetics. I wanted to be a celebrity, smothered with reputation, smoke machine and all."
.
--- Super Squad - Suicide Squad's been filming for a couple weeks now but they're still adding hot guys to the cast! DH is reporting that both Scott "Seed of Clint" Eastwood and the boxer Raymond Olubowale (seen there to the left) have just joined the cast, although there's no word on who they're playing. There's a rumor that Olubowale is playing "King Shark" though, whoever that is. Hopefully King Shark is better known as "The dude who makes out with Jai Courtney's character a lot."
 .
--- Demon Seeded - So it seems that Nicolas Winding Refn began filming his female-centric horror movie The Neon Demon today out in Los Angeles, and at that link there's a little bit more specific of a plot tagline then we've seen before (here's what we'd heard before). Also of news are a couple new cast members listed, including Desmond Harrington, who we gratuitized here at the blog back in 2009. Where the heck has he been? Oh and this dude too:
.
His name is Karl Glusman and that's him playing the same part that Billy Magnussen memorably played in the play Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike. Glad to know there will be beefcake besides all the women-folk then!
.
--- Peggy's My Hero - I didn't need any more reasons to adore Hayley Atwell after Agent Carter - she's the bee's knees, you guys - but if she wants to tell terribly amusing stories about how she couldn't keep her hands off of Chris Evans' man-boob, then she can go right ahead and do that, and together we'll find out that I can actually love her more. (thanks Mac)
.
--- Mad Adam - It becomes clearer and clearer to me the more interviews with Adam Driver that I read that he is genuinely and honestly a super weird person and he doesn't just play one on TV. Take this chat with him in The Guardian (thanks Mac) where, when asked what it's like working with Martin Scorsese (they're currently filming the Jesuit priest drama Silence) he says, and I quote:

"Surreal. I grew up watching his movies. In my culture, in Indiana, it was all about going to Blockbuster Video and renting Martin Scorsese movies."

I get that he's talking to a British newspaper here but it stills trikes me as such an odd bit of phrasing - "in my culture" - that just makes him sound like he's from outer space, instead of placing him anywhere where people actually do things like go to Blockbuster.
.
--- Hamm Handed - I knew there was a reason I have never gotten into watching Mad Men! It was all a pre-reaction to the rumor that the show's creator Matthew Weiner apparently refused to let his star Jon Hamm take on the leading role in David Fincher's Gone Girl in between filming the show, and thereby forcing me to sit through another godawful Ben Affleck performance. Goddamn you, Matthew Wiener. You can go to hell for that one, I'll never watch your dumb show now.
.

No comments: