Friday, March 13, 2015

Going Under For It Follows

.
I already wrote a review of David Robert Mitchell's new horror film It Follows, you can read that right here - this is just to remind you that the movie's out today and it is really very scary and beautiful and you need to get your butt to the theater to watch it. 

A couple of notes though: I wish I hadn't watched the trailer beforehand, and I feel bad that I posted the trailer here at the blog beforehand, because there's one scare the trailer gives away that I wish I hadn't had spoiled for me before seeing the film. So if you have not already watched the trailer, do not! Go in fresh like a fresh baby, and enjoy your fresh ass off.

My second note is kind of random, but looking at the picture above of Maika Monroe (our newest coolest Scream Queen) in her backyard swimming pool in the movie reminded me of something I should've maybe put into my review but it's so vague a sensation really - did any of you have an above-ground backyard swimming pool like that when you were a kid? The one I had was a little more permanent than that one looks but it still gave off the sensation that it was one sharp mistake away from puncturing through and sucking you into a Biblical situation. Anyway this movie captured the slightly creepy feeling of floating in it all by yourself on a summer afternoon in a way I hadn't felt since I was that age doing just that - it really was one of those magical moments of movie transportation. I was twelve again, rendered slow and clumsy by the water, hovering - you're floating and you can't really see over the walls to what's surrounding you - it's such a vulnerable position, somehow walking a line between comfort and oblivion. 

And that's just one example of what Mitchell accomplishes here; the whole of It Follows hovers like suspended in liquid. It's clearly no mistake that pools and lakes are constantly on view - it's all capturing, and capturing well, that slow-motion nightmare sensation of your useless molasses limbs and whatever's right under your feet, reaching up.
.

No comments: