Monday, March 30, 2015

Everything You Ever Need To Know About Life...

... you can learn from:

Heathers (1988)

Veronica: If you were happy every day of your life
you wouldn't be a human being. You'd be a game-show host.

Today is the 58th birthday of Michael Lehmann, the director of Heathers. Heathers was his first movie! Talk about striking gold right outta the gate. Lehmann's done a few more movies over the years (The Truth About Cats & Dogs is probably his second best flick) but he's worked like gangbusters on TV, directing episodes of faves like Wonderfalls, The Comeback, American Horror Story and True Blood.

As I was looking him up I was reminded of this oral history of Heathers for its 25th anniversary last year that EW did; it's worth the read if you love the movie like any sane person does. Looking for anecdotes specifically from Lehmann I found this tidbit interesting:

"I really wanted to cast Heather Graham [as Heather Chandler], and her parents wouldn’t let her do it. She was 16 or 17. I even talked to Heather’s mother at great length to convince her we weren’t tools of Satan, and she would have nothing of it. I really tried. I mean, I begged her. Heather’s reading was just great."
.

No comments: