Thursday, February 26, 2015

Everything You Ever Need To Know About Life...

... you can learn from:


Eli: You have to invite me in. 
Oskar: What happens if I don't? 
What happens if you walk in anyway? 
Is there something in the way? 
I'm trying not to think about the fact that I effed up on getting tickets to see the stage version of this movie that's been playing here in New York for a few months; by the time I'd heard enough good stuff about it it was too late, too late for me, alas. I blame the musical version of Fun Home for ruining me - I didn't like the musical, nope not at all, even though I adored Alison Bechdel's book and even though it too got raves. So when Let the Right One In rolled around, I let my skepticism take hold. Oh well. I'll always have the movie! Speaking of, it's crazy cheap on blu-ray right now. Seeing as how it's one of the most beautiful movies of the past decade you could do far worse.

There's a scene in It Follows (which I just reviewed) that reminded me of the pool scene in Let the Right One In, by the way. They've got some similarities, these two flicks, tonally, thematically. And of course they're all referring back to the grand-daddy of all horror-movie pool scenes dripping with strange sexuality - Jacques Tourneur's Cat People


1 comment:

Bill Carter said...

Let the Right One In is my favourite movie of the 21st Century (so far). The swimming pool sequence has got to be one of the most beautifully composed scenes in all of movie history.

Co=incidentally, I only learned about the stage version this week, when I was researching a trip to London. Damn! Would have loved to have seen it.