Thursday, November 20, 2014

John Cameron Mitchell Is Hedwig, Again

.
The original, accept no mico-penised rock-star substitutes, is coming back to do the show on Broadway for eight weeks, starting on January 21st!!! I saw and I liked NPH in the role, but I have haaaaaaaaaated the fact that I missed John do his original run back in the day so I've already snapped up tickets for this, like fuckin' lightning. You can buy your tickets right here. And if you want to read the press release, hit the jump...



John Cameron Mitchell returns to the role he co-created with composer/lyricist Stephen Trask in their musical Hedwig and The Angry Inch, which they debuted in the 1998 hit Off-Broadway production. Mitchell will step into the role on Broadway at the Belasco Theatre (111 West 44th Street) starting Wednesday, January 21 for a strictly limited eight week engagement. Mitchell will join co-star and Tony Award winner Lena Hall who continues with the production as Yitzhak.

This will mark Mitchell’s first New York stage appearance since his iconic 1998 performance as Hedwig at the Jane Street Theatre, a role which earned him an Obie Award and an Outer Critics Circle nomination. He later starred in and directed the 2001 film version of Hedwig and The Angry Inch, Mitchell received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. Mitchell’s other acting credits include “Girls,” The Secret Garden, and Six Degrees of Separation. His other directing credits include Rabbit Hole, Shortbus, and the upcoming film adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s punk era story How to Talk to Girls at Parties.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch songwriter Stephen Trask said, “John is one of my oldest and dearest friends and this character is such an important part of his life that I mostly just feel excited and happy for him that he gets to revisit her in this incredible incarnation. And then there’s probably a small part of me that feels like Robbie Robertson felt when The Band reunited without him. I kind of wish I were going to be on that stage.”

 John Cameron Mitchell said, “I am in equal parts thrilled and terrified to be returning to Hedwig. 15 years ago she kicked my butt so hard that I quit acting. But like an expertlly face-lifted ex-wife, she's lured me back. The killer new work by Neil Patrick Harris, Andrew Rannells, and Michael C. Hall have left much larger pumps to fill. Here's hoping I don't need a walker by the end of the run.”

Director Michael Mayer said, “I'm beyond thrilled to work with my dear friend John Cameron Mitchell in recreating his iconic role in our new production. I think his Hedwig has had a date with Broadway for a long time and I can't wait to be there for it.” Hedwig and the Angry Inch producer David Binder said, “John returning to Hedwig is every fan’s dream come true. I’ve spent two decades working with Stephen and John and to have John in Hedwig’s gold boots at the Belasco couldn’t make me happier. No one will be screaming louder than me when he makes his entrance on January 21.”
.

1 comment:

Victor S said...

I'm HUGELY pissed that I'm gonna this by one week. It ends march 14 and I arrive in NYC on the march 19.